Changing old beliefs can be hard.
The old patterns of thinking are so deeply ingrained that it can seem almost impossible to break out of them.
But we know that change cannot come without a change in thought and consciousness first taking place.
So how do you break out of the old patterns?
And how do you entertain new and expansive thoughts, when the conditioned mind is ever ready to jump on them and kill them off?
You play the ‘what if’ game:
Instead of trying to affirm what you want in bold terms and have it rejected outright by your limiting beliefs, you tell your mind that you’re only pretending and that it’s just a game…
You say ‘what if…?’and imagine what it would be like. Your mind buys the story and lets you have your bit of fun.
But you’re still imagining. You’re still creating. And you’re still shifting your reality!
I must fess up: I stole this idea from a book called ‘How The Secret Changed My Life: Real People. Real Stories’ by Rhonda Byrne. It’s a good book and you should check it out. (By the way, you should definitely visit the ‘Secret Stories’ page on The Secret website and read through some of the stories there. You’ll find some pretty inspirational stuff there!)
I’ve also come across this idea with the Teachings of Abraham (Abraham and Hicks) when they talk about playing the ‘wouldn’t it be nice’ game. It’s basically the same technique but you frame the question with ‘wouldn’t it be nice’ instead of ‘what if…?’
If you can imagine it, you can have it…
Both phrases are designed to do the same job: to get you to think about the possibility of having what you want, without your conditioned mind or limited thinking shooting it down.
All I can tell you is that I tried it today and it works! I was able to write pages and pages about what it would be like and what it would feel like… and I felt great in the process too. So I know it definitely did some good!
So try it. I fully recommend it!
- Telling A New Story: How to Vanquish Your Inner Demons
- Revision: Erasing Old Scards and Removing Old Blocks
- Consciousness As the Underlying Reality
- The Law of Attraction – What You Need to Know and Why You Need to Be Excited About It
- How to Use the Law of Attraction – An Unconventional Guide
- Why the Law of Attraction Doesn’t Work for You and How to Fix It
- The Secret (website)
- Abraham and Hicks – Teachings of Abraham (website)
- 30 Days of Gratitude (A gratitude journal with quotes to guide and inspire you)
- Five Steps to A Happier You (An ebook that teaches you five simple actions you can take today to become happier)
- The Secret Success Stories (Browse success stories)